Scholarship FAQs: Current Students
- Who is eligible? History Majors with 12 credit hours of History at Baylor University.
- Can History minors apply? No, you must be a formally declared Major according to your transcript.
- What about a “secondary major in history”? Yes, they are eligible.
- What about University Scholars? No, they must have a declared History major to be eligible.
- What if I just have 12 credit hours of History but haven’t gone through the process of becoming a History major? No, you need to have a formally declared History major according to your transcript.
- Do the 12 credit hours have to be completed? No, they may be in-progress during the semester in which you apply.
- Do online classes count? Yes, if you have taken an online History class at Baylor, it counts towards those 12 credit hours.
- Can I use AP or transfer credits? No, all 12 credit hours must be taken at Baylor.
- Does it matter what level my History credits are? No, the 12 credit hours can be at any level (1000, 2000, 3000, and/or 4000).
- Do BIC (Baylor Interdisciplinary Core) classes count? No, only classes with an HIS prefix count.
- I took a class (like Area Studies) that is cross-listed in History; does that count? Only if it has the HIS prefix on your transcript; the system only recognizes and counts HIS classes.
- Do I need to complete a FAFSA? Yes, in order to qualify for any scholarship, you must have a current FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office.
- Some scholarships are only merit-based; why do I need a FAFSA? The university requires a FAFSA before it can award any forms of financial compensation regardless of its conditions.
- When can I file an application? The application period for the 2024-25 academic year is February 1 to March 1.
- Where can I find the link to the application? Go to the History Department website under the Undergraduate Program tab and click on History Scholarships to find the Application link.
- Do I need to fill out a separate application for each scholarship? No, just complete the one form and you will be considered for all available scholarships.
- I am graduating in December; can I still get a scholarship? Yes, as long as you are enrolled as a full-time student at Baylor during the Fall 2024 and/or the Spring 2025 semesters, you are eligible for consideration.
- I am graduating in August; can I still get a scholarship? No, you must be enrolled during a regular full-length semester (Fall and/or Spring).
- Can the scholarship be used for summer classes? No, it is only applicable to Fall and Spring semester tuition.
- I am planning to study abroad during the 2024-25 academic year; can I still get a scholarship? Yes, in fact, several of the scholarships are specifically designated to assist with the costs of study abroad programs.
- I am returning to Baylor after taking some time off; am I eligible for a scholarship? Yes, if you have had to take a break from your studies at Baylor for whatever reason and you are a History major and have taken 12 credit hours of History at Baylor, you are eligible.