David A. Smith
Senior Lecturer in History
Areas of Specialization
Military History; Maritime History; Cultural History; Biography & History
Ph.D., University of Missouri
M.A., Texas State University
A New Force at Sea: George Dewey and the Rise of the American Navy (USNI, 2023)
The Price of Valor: The Life of Audie Murphy (Regnery History, 2015)
Money for Art: The Tangled Web of Art and Politics in American Democracy (Ivan R. Dee, 2008)
The President’s Position: Debating the Issues. John Quincy Adams Through James K. Polk, (Greenwood Press, 2005)
George S. Patton: A Biography, Greenwood Press, 2003
“Dawn at Manila: Commodore George Dewey and the Future of the Philippines,” Naval History Magazine, May 2023 issue.
“Democracy Dies in Materialism and the US isat Risk,” Dallas Morning News, May 10, 2018
“The Party Platforms on the Ballot were Designed to Manipulate and Divide Us,” Dallas Morning News, March 7, 2018
“America’s D-Day Sacrifice Should be Recalled with Gratitude,” Houston Chronicle, June 5, 2015.
“Proposed Memorial Would Honor Hero from Pearl Harbor,” Houston Chronicle, December 6, 2013.
“It’s Monumental Work to Honor Our War Heroes,” Dallas Morning News, May 26, 2013.
“The NEA at a Tipping Point,” The Weekly Standard, vol. 15, #10, November 23, 2009.
“Obama Plays it Safe with the Arts,” Wall Street Journal, June 11, 2009.
“Artists or Taxpayers,” Dallas Morning News, May 19, 2009.
“Should States Control Arts Funding?” Austin American Statesman,March 14, 2009.
“Bailing Out Art isn’t Final Fix,” Dallas Morning News, February 3, 2009.
“An Old, Bad Idea for the Arts,” Wall Street Journal, January 24, 2009.
Writer and Host, “David and Art,” weekly show on KWBU-103.3 FM covering art, culture, and history.
- Fleet Professor of Strategy and War, College of Distance Education, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island Baylor University Outstanding Professor Award, 2022-2023.
- Baylor University Teaching Fellow, 2015-2016.
- Baylor University Outstanding Professor Award, 2007-2008.
- Baylor Athletics Outstanding Professor Award, 2007-2008; 2009-2010
- Baylor University Student Congress “Faculty Member of the Year, 2003-2004.”
- Baylor University Research Committee research grant, 2019-2020.
- Baylor University Research Committee research grant, 2011-2012.
- Baylor University Research Committee research grant, 2007-2008.
- “George Dewey and the Rise of the American Navy,” National Museum of the US Navy, Washington, DC, August 12, 2023.
- “The Hero Comes Home: Military Heroism in American Culture,” Audie Murphy Day 2023, Audie Murphy/American Cotton Museum, Greenville, Texas, May 27, 2023.
- The Civil War Forum of Metropolitan New York. “From the Sea: Lieutenant George Dewey and the U.S. Navy in the Civil War,” February 2022.
- The Civil War Forum of Metropolitan New York. “The Final Week of the Civil War,” February 2020.